Tuesday 8 February 2011

Pictures of some new work

I have recently had all of my work photographed professionally by the very talented photographer Phil Whitby, he did a brilliant job! I'm really pleased with the results.






This is one of my recent pieces, inspired by a news image of The London Afghanistan conference last year. This is very much a sneak preview as most of my recent work has been under wraps in the last 6 months! Twinkle and I are planning a massive showcase exhibition for later on this year, and everything I have been working on will be unveiled then. We have yet to find the perfect venue, I will keep you posted.


The title of this painting is '9 Years and 89 days, ongoing. Civilian deaths 34,240, Military deaths 2,208'. I decided to paint this because the image intrigued me, the situation struck me as so far removed from the reality and horror of war and death; the group of politicians look like a sea of black suits, surrounded by ornate gold decoration and red flock patterned carpet. This piece is an exploration of the power of an image, simply by translating it into paint it makes a comment on the subject it tackles, but it suggests rather than explains, leaving more space for reflection.








I am also currently experimenting with the way I apply the paint to the canvas, here I have built up a series of glazes, and used thick paint to create rough marks, leaving faces to appear half finished and sketched in. I wanted to use a more expressive style of mark making to deal with a sensitive and emotive subject.





I HAD to make the most of it and also have some pics taken 
of me and Elvi in the studio.
Thankyou to Phil, and to Vicky and Matthew for helping on the shoot.















No comments: